Patrick McIntyre has worked in civil litigation since commencing work as an articled clerk in Adelaide in 1975 while he undertook his legal studies.
Since his admission to the Bar in 1979 his practice can be summarised as follows:
- 1979-81 Employed Solicitor, Adelaide S.A.
- 1981-94 Managing Partner S.A. Rural/Regional Law firm
- 1994-96 Employed Solicitor, Darwin N.T.
- 1996-2015 Barrister, Darwin N.T.
Current Dominant Areas of Practice
- Civil Remedies
- Constitutional, Administrative & Local Government Law
- Contract, Commercial & Estate Law
- Discrimination Law
- Dispute Resolution
- Indigenous Rights & Native Title Law
Counsel in the following significant cases
- Kadlunga v ETSA  39 SASR 410
- Blyth District Hospital v SA Health Commision  49 SASR 501
- Hiroti v The Queen  NTSC 103
- Milatos & Anor v Clayton Utz  NTSC 44
- Amoonguna Community Inc & Ors v Northern Territory of Australia & Anor  NTSC 33
- Gondarra v Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs  FCA 25.
2003-15 Co-chair Mawul Rom Project
2006-07 Member of Council NT Law Society
2003-6 Co-chair National Mediation Conference
1996-06 Member NT Chapter Leadr, Chairperson 1996-97, 99-2000. Accredited by LEADR on their Advanced Panel of Mediators; now a member of Resolution Institute.
1998-2006 Member NT Reconciliation Council, vice-President 1998-99, President 2000-04
1995-98 Associate Member Institute of Arbitrators Australia (Vice-President NT Chapter 1996);
1996-98 Member Board of Directors, Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
Facilitation of Complex Negotiations
1997-2002 Waluwarra/Georgina River Peoples Native Title Claim; Negotiation of ILUA between Claimants & Qld Gov’t and Pastoralist.
1998-9 ‘Mardiwah Loop’ Native Title and Land Use Dispute; Halls Creek W.A. multi-agency cross-cultural and intra-indigenous housing & land tenure dispute.
2002-3 ‘Lake Bennett’ Resort Development; mediation of 71 competing land tenure claims following a breakdown of NT Gov’t Torrens Title System.
Education & Training
Patrick has designed and delivered numerous mediation and negotiation training workshops across Australia and internationally since 1994.
Significantly he provided an ADR Training Program for the East Timorese Land Dispute Resolution Unit (Dec. 2000) and again for the East Timor/Australia Legal Assistance Symposium (Mar. 2002).
In 1998 he commenced a unique collaboration between Australia’s Yolngu academy (under the Madayin Law of N-E Arnhemland) and the modern Australian academy; in what became the Mawul Rom Cross-cultural Leadership & Peace-making Project; and ultimately the Masters in Indigenous Knowledge (Mawul Rom); (Charles Darwin University).
In 2011 he was Initiated as Honorary Dalkara/Djirrikay of the Dhurili Nation according to the Madayin Law of the Yolngu of North East Arnhemland.
Areas of Practice
- Administrative Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Proceedings
- Building and Construction
- Commercial Law
- Competition and Consumer
- Coronial Inquiries
- Deceased Estates and Wills
- Defamation and Media
- Disciplinary Tribunals
- Equity, Partnership and Trusts
- Family and Estate Law
- Family Provision
- Human Rights
- Intellectual Property
- Landlord and Tenant
- Medical Negligence
- Native Title
- Other Personal Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Professional Negligence
- Public Law
- Real Property
- Town Planning